Barbie apparently has a lot of baths, when I went searching for a shower for barbie there was virtually nothing to be found. I really want the dollhouse to be as realistic as possible and I could would not settle for no shower in the bathroom. Time to get the thinking cap on and get a little creative.
I had this awesome printed shower curtain already, some eye hooks and after much scouring of the cheapy shops, (anyone else get lost in those places? I am always finding something else I hadn’t spotted before) I found mini split rings and a pair of large rings designed for make-your own jewellery (only one of which I will use). I already had an extensive collection of eyelets, thanks to scrapbooking, of which I chose bright, co-ordinating colours and a bit of pink because it wouldn’t be Barbie without pink, right?
Now to get to work. First to measure the ceiling clearance height I had to work with. Taking into account, how hight the eye hooks are and that they would only be screwed into another board (later attached to the ceiling with glue as the dollhouse has some very thin floorboards), I cut the material long enough to have a fold over the top, giving the eyelets more to hold on to.
I then cut the curtain into four sheets. I had it in my head that having several separate curtains would be a little easier to handle for my daughter than one big sheet. I folded over the top of each, marked out and made holes for my eyelets (no measuring for exact spacing – I’m letting go of the perfectionism, remember) and secured them.
The mini split rings seemed like a great idea, in reality they are extremely fiddly to work with and this part did not turn out quite as planned. I had wanted them to go through the eyelets but it just would not do what I wanted it to. Those little rings went flying across the room many a time! I managed to secure them to the top of the curtain. My recommendation, should you want to do something similar, use bigger eyelets and skip the split rings altogether – trust me you will thank me! I however had already secured my eyelets and gone through all that trouble so I was determined to use those split rings! It was at this stage that taking photos came second place to just getting IT done …
Now to make the hanging apparatus, screwing the eyelets into the thin wood circle around the edges to form a (kind of) circle to the size of the earring. I just pressed hard and screwed those eyelets in, it was a thin wood so pre-drilling was unnecessary. Just take it slow so you don’t split the wood.
Hanging the curtain by the split rings, feeding it through the earring and at each interval (determined by how far the earring has fed through) into the eyelets.
The wooden circle at top will later be glued to the dollhouse ceiling but Barbie couldn’t wait to try it out
The Barbie Dollhouse renovations are in full swing, the bathroom will be finished shortly and of course, you will all get to see … soon.
Linking up with: